Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fun and Games

Got a much better night’s sleep so felt rested when waking today.  Sleep is a beautiful thing.
Headed down to the beach and found that the water gods were agitated, bringing us some rougher water and swells.  I made friends with the Pacific yesterday and we did agree to peacefully co-exist and play nice from that day forward.  I swam for about 25 minutes, and it was fine.  The fish still swim around whether the water is rough or smooth...and so do I.  
My friend Klaus said that I should stack some rocks to honor Madame Pele.  I never heard that, but I’m gonna do it!
After swimming, I and my friend Kerrie from the Baker’s Tri Team, had the privilege of taking a ride in the “Kona Cash Cab.”  No, not the same one that is on TV from New York City, but the Kona version which is actually a Ford Ironman vehicle, hosted by Roman Micah and Ben Greenfield(that's Ben on the right with their Cash Cab).  They asked us Ironman-related questions as we drove along - and a very cool special -edition Timex Kona Ironman watch was the prize if we got enough questions right. We ROCKED it and both got watches.  Now, we’ll see if we actually make the cut to show up on their website, everymantri.com!  
And it appears that it was my media day....a pre-recorded segment of me talking about my Ironman Charity Challenge as well as talking training and competing in the Hawaii Ironman - was on the radio today on “Your Time with Kim Iverson,” a syndicated radio show.  Listening to yourself on the radio is painful! (at least for me), but I seemed to come off ok without sounding too scattered.  She even put the link out there so people could donate to the Charity Challenge if they were so inclined.  We still have about 36 hours to collect those last few dollars for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Larimer County!
www.wix.com/ptcpam/jcc  is the link if you haven’t donated and would like to.  Mahalo!
By the way, I saw a quote on Kim’s website that I thought was very cool - we are “Presidents of our own lives.”  I like it.
This afternoon I was off to the airport to pick up poor Warren, who had a 4 hour layover in Honolulu.  So close to the Big Island, yet so far away!   He was absolutely exhausted after getting up at 2am this morning to make a 6am flight out of Denver.  He had my complete permission and blessing to start drinking at the Honolulu airport.  If I had been a really good wife, I’d have rented myself a boat and gone over to Oahu and picked him up, right?  
Before picking up Warren, I went by the Ironman Village and saw Bryan, our fearless leader...Baker’s Tri Team Captain, and another Baker’s teammate, Jeff, who’s from Montana and also racing.  Tonight we had our team dinner at the house Bryan is renting....mmmm...tasty chicken and pasta.  I met some new friends, like teammate Elizabeth from Monterrey CA shown here, who just had her appendix out on Monday and is still considering racing on Saturday.  Baker's Team athletes are tough "cookies!!" (get it, Baker's cookies?  ha)
Spotted an eye-catching t-shirt on an athlete guy down here....”PR or ER.”  Since PR is a race slang for Personal Record(meaning your best time ever), do ya think this guy's gonna race hard on Saturday or what?  

Back again tomorrow!  Aloha...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very exciting time Pam. Disappointed we cant be there to see you in person! Yes, poor Warren. We all feel really horrible for him. First the extra heavy suitcases then the layover. Just awful! LOL thanks for sharing your blog with us. We love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm living it through you Pam! Continue to enjoy!!! Swim like those fishes! Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete