Monday, May 6, 2013

A couple of days off is good, right?

Now that we have an empty nest, we like to open our home to international professional triathletes for homestays when they come to train in Boulder.  So far we have hosted Aussie triathletes Tim Reed, Tim Van Berkel, Lisa Marangon, and Aussie professional mountain biker Josh Carlson.  We've also hosted American triathlete Jenna Parker and 2004 Ironman Hawaii champion, German Faris Al-Sultan. It's a lot of fun getting to know them - and you really come to appreciate that the life of a professional athlete is not easy!  And we also enjoy having a live-in housesitter/dogsitter so that we can travel to warm sunny places like California when the weather is sucking here, as it sure has been lately.

Tim Van Berkel has been with us for the past 6 weeks - and certainly it isn't the training block he anticipated in the springtime.  Three snowstorms in three weeks, and generally chilly temperatures were not really what he signed up for, I'm sure.

Tim left today to return to Oz, and I'm sure he's ready to get home.  He came down with a wicked cold earlier in the week, and of course, now Warren and I have it.  I really hate being sick, and even more so when it comes with a severe cough.  My abs are sore from coughing my brains out last night.  I guess if there's a silver lining, that's it.....who knew that coughing is a core workout?!  :-)

Warren insisted that we go to the doctor today, so we at least got some drugs that ease the annoying headache a bit.  I'm spinning these days off in my head as "I am often overtired and overtrained but keep pushing through...this is my body's way of telling me take care of it."  After all, if my immune system were rock solid I wouldn't have gotten sick in the first place, right?

So I'm going back in my head to that relaxed state of bliss after my post-race massage in Kona a couple of years ago.

ZZZZ....






No comments:

Post a Comment